Homemade Enchilada Sauce
A simple recipe for authentic, classic red Homemade Enchilada Sauce.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice or more to taste
- 1-2 jalapenos depending on heat level desired
- 1 large clove garlic grated
- 1/4 small onion cut in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve the jalapeno, remove the seeds and stems and place it on the baking sheet along with the garlic and onion.
Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables, tossing to coat and roast 15 minutes.
While the veggies are roasting, add the oil and flour to a saucepan over medium heat. Combine and cook 1 minute then fold in the chili powder, cumin and salt.
Fold in the tomato sauce and chicken stock then cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 3-4 minutes.
Add the roasted vegetables to the sauce and using an immersion blender pulse several times until it’s smooth (you can also use a regular blender).