Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
Unstuffed Cabbage Soup ~ delicious flavors of stuffed cabbage in simple, one pot soup form.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small head of cabbage core removed, rough chopped (peel/discard off first several leaves of cabbage).
- 1 pound ground round
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme whole
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup rice uncooked
In a large soup pot, add a drizzle of olive oil and once it's hot, add he onion, green pepper, grated garlic and ground round.
Generously season with salt and pepper, then add the Worcestershire and chopped cabbage.
Cook 5-7 minutes over medium heat until the meat is browned and the cabbage is slightly softened.
Add the tomato paste, cook another 2 minutes then add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, V-8, beef stock and UNCOOKED rice.
Lay thyme sprigs on top then cover and simmer 25-30 minutes on low-medium/low heat, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked.
Add parsley and milk and cook another 5 minutes over low heat.
Remove thyme sprigs, taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.