Traditional Bread Sausage Stuffing
Old fashioned, traditional bread-sausage stuffing with fresh herbs and vegetables.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 45 mins
- 1 pound good quality day old white bread cut into 1” cubes (French bread is good too)
- 1 ½ sticks butter + 1 tablespoon of butter divided
- 1 ½ Cups yellow onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 1/3 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8 ounces bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 1/2 Cups turkey or chicken stock
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees then butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish using 1 tablespoon of softened butter.
Cut the bread into about 1” cubes then transfer them to rimmed baking sheets in a single layer and bake 30-40 minutes or until toasted, lightly browned and crisp then transfer to a large bowl..
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet add the onion and celery, season lightly with salt and pepper and sauté 8-10 minutes or until the onions have softened.
Fold in the parsley, sage and thyme then pour the butter and vegetables over the bread cubes combining then let it cool to room temp.
Once the stuffing is cool enough to handle with your hands, break up the sausage and fold it into the stuffing, combining with your hands or a fork.
Slowly blend in the turkey (chicken) stock a little at a time combining until the cubes are evenly moistened.
Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish then cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes, uncover and continue baking 15 minutes more or until it’s cooked through. Optional: garnish with additional 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley.