Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup – all the flavors of classic baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls without all the work! Easy, hearty dinner with ground beef, cabbage, rice and herbs in a rich tomato broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 4 cups green cabbage chopped
- 1 small green pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces canned tomato sauce 15 ounces each
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
Heat the oil in a large soup pot then add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper to taste then cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a spatula until it’s cooked through.
Add the onions, garlic, cabbage and green pepper then season with salt and pepper and continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until the onions soften.
Fold in the beef stock, Worcestershire, diced tomatoes (including the juices), tomato sauce, rice and finely chopped thyme.
Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered 20-25 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in the brown sugar and parsley, then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.