Air Fryer Fried Pickles ~ Crunchy breaded air fryer pickles. Tangy dill pickle chips air fried to crisp served with a creamy, spicy sauce for dipping.
Last week I ran a poll on Instagram and Facebook because for the life of me I couldn’t decide between making these Air Fryer Fried Pickles with a spicy dipping sauce or Air Fryer Ravioli with Marinara. I know ~ big decisions, right? It was close, but the Pickles won.
You may have already tried deep fried pickles in a restaurant but wondered if you could make air fryer dill pickle chips at home. Wonder no more.
These dill pickles are breaded then air fried using just a light spritz of cooking spray. The result is crispy, breaded tangy dill pickles served up with a creamy spicy sauce. It’s a delicious flavor explosion you can’t get enough of.
Simply put, air fryers cook our favorite ‘fried’ snacks and meals without all the extra fat and calories. The air fryer cleans up really easily too, unlike deep fryers.
Dredging the pickles in flour, an egg wash then Pankow style breadcrumbs gives them the right amount of crispiness for this delicious one-bite appetizer.
What’s in Air Fryer Fried Pickles?
- whole dill pickles sliced 1/2″ thick
- cayenne pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
How to make Air Fryer Fried Pickles:
Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Slice the pickles about 1/2″ thick then transfer them to the paper towel lined baking sheet and cover with another layer of paper towels. This helps get the moisture out of the pickles so they’ll crisp in the air fryer.
Set up a dredging station:
- In the first bowl mix the flour and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk the egg and water in the second bowl.
- In the third bowl add just the Pankow breadcrumbs.
Working one pickle at a time, dredge the pickle into the flour then dip in the egg and last the Panko breading. Transfer the pickle to a plate or baking sheet and gently press the top of the breading with your fingers. Continue until all the pickles are breaded.
Turn the air fryer on and preheat at 400° for 3 minutes then lightly spray the breaded pickles with cooking spray.
Add a layer of pickles to the air fryer and cook 8 minutes or until golden color, turning the pickles over about halfway through. Air Fryer models cook differently so keep an eye on the pickles. Cooking time is an estimation. Serve right away with the dipping sauce below.
While the pickles are frying, make the dipping sauce.
Blend 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of ketchup, 1 teaspoon horseradish and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste) together in a bowl. Refrigerate until the pickles are ready to serve.
how does an air fryer work?
The air fryer ‘fries’ food by circulating hot air around the food. It’s a healthier way of cooking because the recipes require much less oil than deep frying but produce a similar taste and texture.
Need more air fryer inspiration?
Air Fryer French Fries start with hand cut potatoes air fried until golden and crispy with the BEST flavor. Bonus: they only use one teaspoon of oil and are easy to make.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos better than fried ~ these tortillas are packed with spicy shredded chicken and cheese air fried but with deep fried taste.
If you tried this Air Fryer Fried Pickles recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- 2 cups whole dill pickles sliced 1/2" thick
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon water
- cooking spray
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Slice the pickles about 1/2" thick then transfer them to the paper towel lined baking sheet and cover with another layer of paper towels.
- Next set up a dredging station:1) In the first bowl or plate blend the flour and cayenne pepper.2) In the second bowl, mix the egg and water3) In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs.
- Working one pickle at a time, dredge the pickle in the flour then dip in the egg and then the Panko breading. Transfer to plate or baking sheet and gently press the top of the breading into the pickle with your fingers. Continue until all the pickles are breaded.
- Turn the air fryer on and preheat for 3 minutes at 400 degrees then lightly spray the breaded pickles with cooking spray.
- Add the pickles to the air fryer in a single layer then cook 8 minutes or until golden color, turning the pickles over about halfway through. NOTE: Air fryer models cook differently so keep an eye on the pickles. Cooking time is an estimation.
- Serve right away with a spicy dipping sauce (recipe in body of post).