This Spanish Shrimp and Rice shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UncleBens #FlavorInfusions #CollectiveBias
I don’t know where my days go. So often I’ll look at the clock and realize it’s noon ~ or 3 or oh shoot. What’s for dinner? The point is (I swear I have one) many of us lead hectic lives so if I tell you I have a delicious, game-changer of a recipe that goes from stove to table in just 20 minutes will you read on?
Spanish Shrimp and Rice won’t pick your kids up from soccer practice or fold that last load of clothes in the dryer ~ it’s not magic ~ but it is a tasty meal made completely in ONE PAN ~ that’s right – one pan and just 20 minutes to tender shrimp, flavor infused rice in a rich, robust, tomatoey sauce with a hint of lime, black beans and avocado.
When our kids were growing up, we always ate dinner together. We had a couple of rules: friends were always welcome and one meal for the whole family. Every family has a picky eater; mine is no exception. The challenge was real.
I didn’t have meal success every night and our time around the table wasn’t the Walton’s (does anyone remember them?). Someone often spilled something ~ usually milk though sometimes tears.
Dinnertime still means a lot to me which is why I started this blog ~ sharing simple, delicious quick meals that don’t compromise on taste so more time can be spent around the table instead of at the stove.
If you’re used to a rice flavor packet ~ there isn’t one. Each grain of rice is already infused with flavor and this one package of Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions easily feeds the whole family.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers they reheat easily for a lunch that’ll make you the envy of the office.
On a side note, I wouldn’t hesitate to entertain with this Spanish Shrimp and Rice dish either – it’s a cut above the rest and takes minimal time to prepare, leaving time to hang with friends.
Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions was new to me, but here are a few things I discovered and why I’ll buy it again:
- It’s a really delicious rice dish without adding anything to it.
- It’s versatile ~ use as a side or main dish, like this Spanish Shrimp and Rice.
- One step and it cooks in 10 minutes or less.
- Natural herbs and spices are infused into each grain so no extra flavor packet is needed.
- No preservatives or artificial flavors.
- Resealable pouch ~ make as few as 2 or as many as 8 servings.
If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you know I’m a fan of the Uncle Ben’s® brand. If it’s not in the pantry, it’s on my grocery list.
Okay, so where to find Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions. Easy ~ one stop shopping at Walmart and if you’re like me, a few other groceries, a new book I’ve been wanting to read and a plant to replace the one I killed. . .again.
The recipe below is for 4 servings; adjust according to your family size.
Ingredients for 4 servings of Spanish Shrimp and Rice:
peeled and deveined shrimp
salt and pepper to taste
Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Spanish Style rice
canned black beans
Tip for cooking shrimp:
Shrimp that have just started to curl into a C shape are perfectly cooked. Don’t let them twist into a tight O shape. It means they’re overcooked and are rubbery. And unhappy. Never eat unhappy, rubbery shrimp.
Drizzle the olive oil into the skillet over medium heat and once it’s warm, add the shrimp in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper and sauté about a minute per side then remove the shrimp from the skillet, tenting it with foil to keep it warm.
Add the Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Spanish Style to the same skillet, toasting it a couple of minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Pour in chicken stock, diced tomatoes and drained, rinsed black beans.
Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top then cover, increase the heat bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 8 minutes stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Return the shrimp to the skillet, nestling it into the rice then garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and if you’d like a few slices of fresh avocado.
30 minute meals, eat your heart out.
If you tried this recipe or any other on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment or star rating ~ I love hearing from you!
Spanish Shrimp and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound shrimp raw, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Spanish Style
- 1 ¼ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes including juice
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 lime cut in 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Avocado sliced (optional)
- Drizzle the olive oil into the skillet over medium heat and once it’s warm, add the shrimp in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper and sauté 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per side then remove the shrimp from the skillet tenting it with foil to keep it warm.
- Add the Uncle Ben’s® Flavor Infusions Spanish Style to the same skillet, toasting it a couple of minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in chicken stock, diced tomatoes and drained, drained/rinsed black beans.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top then cover, increase the heat bringing it to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 8 minutes stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet, nestling it into the rice. Garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro and (optional) a few slices of fresh avocado.