Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken with a crispy, crunchy breading and tender juicy chicken breast inside. Cooks in under 15 minutes!
One of my favorite things about this easy recipe is that it makes a delicious meal with little effort and taste the whole family can rally around.
It mimics the taste of fried chicken with very little oil and cooks in less time than baked.
You can even prep the chicken ahead of time and air fry when you’re ready which makes it ideal for busy weeknights.
This chicken is also gourmet enough for entertaining – served plain – or topped with some melty mozzarella and your favorite marinara.
WHAT’S IN air fryer PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN?
- boneless chicken breasts (2-3 breasts)
- all purpose flour
- Panko breadcrumbs
- finely grated parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- cooking spray (I used an olive oil spray)
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN:
Using a mallet or rolling pin pound thicker chicken breasts so they’re each about 1/2″ thick OR slice lengthwise to about 1/2″ thickness.
Preheat the air fryer to 400° then spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
Set up a dredging station for the panko parmesan coating in three bowls:
#2: beaten eggs + 1 tablespoon water
#3: combine well – panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Dredge each piece of chicken in flour to thoroughly coat, shaking off any excess.
Dip in egg then coat in breadcrumb mixture. Continue until all of the chicken pieces are breaded.
HOW TO AIR FRY CHICKEN:
Place chicken pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer then lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with cooking spray.
Air fry for 6 minutes then turn each piece over. Continue cooking another 5-6 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° on a meat thermometer. Cooking time will vary with the thickness of the chicken and individual air fryers.
WHAT GOES WITH THIS EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN RECIPE?
A good dippings sauce like honey-dijon, Buffalo or classic ranch dressing are always a bonus. Below I’ve included some tasty sides that go well with chicken:
Gouda Mashed Potatoes – creamy, buttery mashed potatoes blended with Gouda cheese! The ultimate holiday side that’s quick enough for weeknights.
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts – roasted to tender with crispy, edges tossed with crispy bacon and a maple syrup-Dijon mustard glaze.
Air Fryer French Fries – the BEST hand cut fries from hand cut potatoes air fried to crisp outside, fluffy potatoes inside and uses just one teaspoon of oil!
Green Beans – perfectly cooked green beans in just 6 minutes without blanching or draining! Lightly crisp, bright green – delicious.
Muffin Tin Potato Stacks– buttery, cheesy thinly sliced potatoes with crispy, golden edges and soft, tender insides baked in a muffin tin.
TIPS FOR THE BEST AIR FRIED PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN:
Be sure the chicken is completely coated. The crunchy breading is delicious and seals the chicken keeping it moist.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. This will prevent the chicken from sticking and the breading coming off.
The cooking times will vary with air fryers and the exact size and thickness of the chicken breasts. Check early so the chicken doesn’t overcook.
Spray the top and sides of the chicken with cookkng spray to make sure it’s crispy and golden.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE:
Chicken is a blank slate and can take on all sorts of flavors.
- Season the breadcrumbs with dry Italian seasoning in place of paprika and garlic powder (you’ll still need salt and pepper).
- Top breaded air fried parmesan chicken with sliced mozzarella, return to the air fryer to melt the cheese then serve with your favorite marinara.
- Cut the chicken into strips for a kid-friendly meal or simle appetizer. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS:
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days. They make a great addition to salads.
LOOKING FOR MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES?
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – easy Southern buttermilk “fried” chicken made healthy in the air fryer! Crispy breading outside, juicy chicken inside in 15 minutes.
Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower – Crispy AIR FRYER Buffalo Cauliflower bites! Crazy good, boldly delicious air fried in minutes!
Air Fried ‘Fried’ Oreos – Oreo cookies wrapped in warm, golden dough air fried then dusted with powdered sugar. Uses NO OIL!
Air Fryer ‘Fried’ Pickles – Crunchy dill pickle chips breaded and air fried to crisp. Served with a creamy, spicy sauce for dipping.
If you tried this Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and a star rating below!
Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts 2-3 breasts
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
- Pound thicker chicken breasts to about 1/2″ thickness OR slice lengthwise to about 1/2″ thickness.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° then spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Set up a dredging station for the panko parmesan coating in three bowls: #1 flour, #2: beaten eggs + 1 tablespoon water, #3: combine panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in flour to thoroughly coat shaking off an excess.
- Dip in egg then coat in breadcrumb mixture. Continue until all of the chicken pieces are breaded.
- Place chicken pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer then lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with cooking spray.
- Air fry 6 minutes then turn each piece over. Continue cooking another 5-6 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. NOTE: cooking time will vary with the thickness of the chicken and individual air fryers.