Grapefruit Margarita recipe without a mix. Easy to make for a crowd or small batch. Tangy-sweet with fresh ruby red grapefruit juice, tequila, lime juice and simple syrup. A tropical twist on the classic cocktail.
Besides sunshine, palm trees and Disney World, when I think Florida my mind goes to grapefruit juice. For some reason, I rarely buy it at home, but it tops my grocery list when we hit the southern states.
This Grapefruit Margarita is a tropical makeover of a classic, uniquely refreshing and simple to make. No mixes were harmed in the making of this cocktail and in about 5 minutes you can be sipping this tropical vacation in a glass.
You can squeeze your own grapefruit juice, but I’ve found Indian River brand to be a good choice for fresh delicious taste. There’s no substitute for fresh-squeezed lime juice though. That’s a must.
For two or a whole batch:
Mix just a couple of Grapefruit Margaritas or a whole batch because if you make it, they’ll come.
If you’re making a pitcher for a crowd, blend the ingredients ahead of time and refrigerate. When guests arrive, just salt the rim of the glasses, add ice and serve with chips and salsa. Entertaining doesn’t get much easier.
I like a tangier margarita, but some prefer them sweeter. Problem solved if you serve extra simple syrup on the side so guests can enjoy as they like.
Frozen or rocks:
I used to only drink frozen margaritas, blended like a 7-11 slurpee but these days they give me ‘brain freeze’. Either method, the recipe is the same.
A Grapefruit Margarita is the ideal beverage with any Mexican dish, like Chorizo Queso Dip an easy appetizer that causes my (adult) children to fight over the last bite or a these healthy Enchilada Stuffed Peppers.
Tips: Use only white or silver tequila. Some swear by tequila from 100% agave nectar which is what I used here. Also, Triple Sec is an affordable orange liquor but if you’d like, you can use Cointreau instead.
Grapefruit Margarita Ingredients:
- ruby red grapefruit juice
- fresh lime juice
- Triple Sec
- silver or white Tequila
- simple syrup (recipe below)
- lime and grapefruit wedges for serving
You’ll also need ice cubes and (optional) salt to rim the glass.
Simple syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness to the margaritas. It’s made with equal parts water and sugar.
For a batch of Grapefruit Margaritas, add one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves then remove from the heat and cool.
Blend the grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila, triple sec and simple syrup in whatever size pitcher suits your crowd.
Line a plate with coarse salt then run a lime wedge over the rim of each glass and press the glass into the salt. Add ice to the glass, pour the Grapefruit Margarita in and serve with an extra lime wedge and (optional) a slice of grapefruit.
If you make this Grapefruit Margarita recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love a comment or star rating.
- ¾ cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces triple Sec
- 3 ounces tequila silver or blanco
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup or to taste
- 1 lime
- sliced grapefruit for garnish optional
Margaritas for 8:
- 3 cups grapefruit juice
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup triple Sec
- 1 ½ cups tequila silver or blanco
- 1/2-3/4 cup cup simple syrup or to taste
- 1 lime sliced
- sliced grapefruit for garnish optional
- For a batch of Grapefruit Margaritas, add one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then simmer 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves then remove from the heat and cool.
- Blend the grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila, triple sec and simple syrup in whatever size pitcher suits your crowd.
- Line a plate with coarse salt then run a lime wedge over the rim of each glass and press the glass into the salt.
- Add ice to the glass, pour the Grapefruit Margarita into the glass and serve with an extra lime wedge and (optional) a slice of grapefruit.
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos ~ better than deep fried ~ A Gouda Life - […] make an easy appetizer or meal and also happen to go well with a margarita any time of the…
- Easy Chicken Fajitas ~ 30 minutes/1 skillet ~ A Gouda Life - […] for dinner?”. When I said Margarita Chicken Fajitas he asked, “well, is it chicken or a margarita?” Everyone loves…
- Signature Drink- Grapefruit Margarita | Planning Collective - […] from: A Gouda Life– Grapefruit […]