Grapefruit Margarita ~ light, refreshing cocktail ~ easy to make at home with fresh grapefruit and lime juices. A tangy-sweet tropical twist on the classic cocktail.
Besides sunshine, palm trees and Disney World when I think Florida my mind goes straight to grapefruit juice.
This Grapefruit Margarita is a tropical makeover of the classic cocktail served in Mexican restaurants. Light, refreshing and simple to make – no mixes required. Just a few simple ingredients and you can be sipping this tropical vacation in a glass in a jiffy.
I’m typically a wine drinker but there are times that call for a good margarita. They’re festive – practically a party all by themselves and a good Mexican meal practically begs for
one a couple.
You can squeeze your own grapefruit juice or buy a good quality grapefruit juice from the grocery store. There’s no substitute for fresh-squeezed lime juice though. That’s a must.
Small batch or for a crowd:
You’ll find instructions below for just 2 margaritas or for a crowd. If you’re making it by pitcher, blend the ingredients ahead of time and refrigerate until guests arrive.
When you’re ready for your guests to enjoy, just rim the glasses with salt, add ice and pour. I like a tangier margarita, but you may prefer yours sweeter adjust to suit your taste.
what’s in a Grapefruit Margarita?
- grapefruit juice
- lime juice
- Simple syrup (store bought or see recipe below)
- Lime and grapefruit wedges for serving
- Coarse salt for rimming the glass
How to Make Simple Syrup:
Simple syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness to the margaritas. It’s made with equal parts water and sugar.
For a batch of Grapefruit Margaritas, add one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves then remove from the heat and cool. You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
how to make a grapefruit margarita:
NOTE #1: Triple sec can be substituted for Cointreau. It’s less expensive but has a lower alcohol content.
NOTE #2: You may squeeze your own grapefruit juice (Ruby red grapefruit recommended) or buy good quality grapefruit juice.
Run the juicy part of a lime wedge around the rim of your glasses. Add the coarse salt to a shallow bowl or plate then dip the rim of the glass into the salt until it’s coated then set aside.
Blend the grapefruit juice, tequila, lime juice and Cointreau in a cocktail shaker (or use a pitcher for large batches).
Taste then add the simple syrup one tablespoon at a time until you’ve reached your desired sweetness, tasting after each tablespoon.
Fill the prepared glass with ice then pour in the Grapefruit Margarita blend. Garnish with a lime or grapefruit wedge then serve right away.
What do I serve with a Grapefruit margarita?
If you make this Grapefruit Margarita recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love a comment or star rating!
Makes TWO Margaritas:
- ¾ cup grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces triple Sec
- 3 ounces tequila silver or blanco
- 1-3 tablespoons simple syrup or to taste
- 1 lime cut in wedges
Margaritas for 8:
- 3 cups grapefruit juice
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup triple Sec
- 1 ½ cups tequila silver or blanco
- 1/2-3/4 cup cup simple syrup or to taste
- 1 lime sliced
- sliced grapefruit for garnish optional
- Add one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Run the juicy part of a lime wedge around the top rim of the glasses. Add coarse salt to a shallow bowl or plate then dip the rim of the glass into the salt until it’s coated with salt then set aside.
- Blend the grapefruit juice, tequila, lime juice and Cointreau (or Triple Sec) in a cocktail shaker for a small batch or pitcher if you’re making a large batch.
- Taste then add the simple syrup one tablespoon at a time until you’ve reached your desired sweetness, tasting after each tablespoon.
- Fill the prepared glasses with ice then pour in the Grapefruit Margarita mixture. Garnish with a lime or grapefruit wedge then serve right away.